Shield the Vulnerable
Faith Formation / Adult Faith Formation / Lay Formation for Catechists and Lay Ministers / Safe Environment Training / Shield the Vulnerable
In response to the Safe Environment initiative, Shield the Vulnerable created an individualized, interactive online course that will challenge and engage you to help learn, build, and retain valuable skills to save children from abuse and neglect. Besides text-based teaching, the course uses interactive techniques and role-play using real-world situations. In this course you will learn:
- What are the different types of abuse and neglect
- How to recognize the signs of abuse and neglect
- Ho to protect a child who is a victim of abuse
- What constitutes "reasonable suspicion"
- When and how to make a report under state law
- Potential penalties for not reporting
- What are the Diocesan standards of conduct
Forms will open in a separate browser window and require Adobe Reader to view. If the form does not display, be sure that it is not obscured by another open window on your desktop, that you have any pop-up blockers disabled, and that you have the free Adobe Reader software installed.
How To Take The Online Course
- Click Shield the Vulnerable in the right-hand Links bar.
- Select the Adults, Teens (Grades 9 - 12) or Kids/Tweens (Grades 4 - 8) button.
- Select Catholic Dioceses from the Your Organization drop-down menu.
- Select Sacramento Diocese (CA) from the Select Catholic Diocese drop-down menu.
Complete the User Login Data tab, and then click Next Step to continue to the Diocesan Affiliation tab.
- Select Volunteer, and then click the Show button.
- Select Parish from the Location Type drop-down menu.
- Select Rocklin from the Where Located drop-down menu.
- Select SS. Peter & Paul from the Parish drop-down menu.
- Select Youth Ministry from the Primary Activity drop-down menu.
- Select an option from the Time Spent drop-down menu.
Indicate if you volunteer at more than one Diocesan location, and then click Next Step to continue to the Occupation tab.
Complete the Occupation tab by selecting the appropriate job category and title. To see a list of jobs, click the plus sign [+] next to each category. Click the radio button next to the job title to select a job. If you are a teen volunteer (under age 18), please select the Ethical Reporter radio button. Click Next Step to continue to the Summary / Confirm tab.
Review your registration information. Be sure to write down your Login-ID and Password! If correct, select the Accept radio button in the Confirmation section, and then click Confirm Signup.
- When the registration is complete, the course begins by clicking the Start button on the My Courses page.
Certificate of Completion
Please print the Certificate of Completion at the end of your session and bring a copy of it to the Faith Formation Office, or email it to Lawanda Tasinari at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Diocese will be notified when your training is complete.